Saturday, January 5, 2008

I'm so excited!


I love saving money! I get chills up my spine, shaky knees and yet feel empowered all at once. My husband came home from Costco today with a big box of ....light bulbs!

"Guess how much there were?"

I shuttered. I just happened to pay a whoppin' $7.00 for ONE of these very looking bulbs at Winco (my cheap store) and do so every time one of our 13 spotlights blow out.

"Well..guess", he insisted.

"Umm , $5.00 each?" I hoped.

"Nope, $4.00 for a package of 6!"

"No way, I exclaimed."

"Yup, they are not your normal bulbs, they are compact fluorescent bulbs using 75% less energy." Working out the wattage and voltage usage my electrician husband estimated a savings of $300-400 per year!"

He quickly installed them all. They do not come on instantly though and in fact when we first tried them we were a little surprised at the slowness to become fully bright. Once they warmed up, (30 sec? or so) they seemed as bright as what we have had before. Yea, I can compromise....open my eyes a little slower for that kind of savings. As long as the expected life span is as good as it says on the box we'll be set.

Apparently, the "government" in Washington (cause for suspicion) was giving a price break rebate of $12.00 off per package at the register in Costco to promote power savings. Let's see if it works. I am going to be checking our power bill and maybe charting it compared to last year this time to see if it makes a difference. I'll keep you "posted!"

No comments: